The “Blankets For Bayan” event at our local elementary school has been such a success that people from around the country have been asking us how to host such an event in their own community to honor Bayan. Executive Director Reem Hassaballa has developed an instructional guide, listed below, on how to host your own “Blankets For Bayan” event:
- The Group making the blankets will receive an incentive from the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation to help offset the cost.
- Purchase Blanket kits from Joann Fabrics or Oriental Trading (they range from $10-$15/blanket and can be found online).
- Have adults cut edges of the blankets (with fleece scissors) per instructions on blanket kit.
- Have kids tie blanket ends.
- Iron-on a label from Bayan Hassaballa Foundation on the plain side of the blanket in a corner using a cotton square (t-shirt or other piece of fabric) to cover while ironing.
- Fold and tie blankets with ribbon or other string.
- Include “Bayan’s Legacy” cards with blanket on top.
- Individually Package in see-through plastic bags.
- Deliver and/or ship blankets to the Foundation (address will be provided).
- The Foundation will personally deliver blankets to the hospital.
The Foundation will provide the group with the “Bayan’s Legacy” cards and iron-on labels. In addition, for every blanket made in Bayan’s honor, the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation will donate the cost of the blanket to St. Judes, Make-A-Wish, or the A-T Foundation…all charities that have helped Bayan.
We are greatly heartened by the tremendous positive response to our “Blankets For Bayan” events. We look forward to helping more people “Paint The World Pink” for Bayan.
The Bayan Hassaballa Foundation is very happy to announce Bayan’s Birthday Gifts for 2015!
This year, we have gifted three wonderful organizations that do amazing work for kids with A-T, cancer, and other life-threatening conditions. In addition, each of these organizations touched Bayan’s life in a very positive way. As a result, the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation, on Bayan’s Birthday, is proud to be able to support these exceptional charities with a grant.
The 2015 Bayan’s Birthday Gift Recipients are:
1. A-T Children’s Project
2. Make-A-Wish Foundation of Illinois
3. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
“We are very happy to be able to give something to each of these fine charities,” said Reem Hassaballa, Executive Director of the Foundation.
“The mission of the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation is to ‘Paint the World Pink for Bayan,’ and while we wish the gifts could be bigger, they are still part of the fulfillment of that mission. We also want to deeply thank everyone who generously supported the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation and helped make the giving of these gifts possible.”
The Bayan Hassaballa Foundation is very proud to announce that Reem Hassaballa, our very own Executive Director, was nominated to be a “Suburban Hero Mom” in Glancer Magazine!
“The death of a child can be an unbelievable challenge, but Reem has chosen to face it with courage and strength for her four other children. Reem’s highest priority is teaching her children the importance of giving back, and it is the very reason she established the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation in 2009.”
“Rising up and continuing to strive to make the world a little better helps me grieve and makes me realize that my angel is living on in my heart,” Reem says. “Creating this Foundation helped me bring out this inherent love that I have for philanthropy.”
Way to go, Reem!