The “Blankets For Bayan” event at our local elementary school has been such a success that people from around the country have been asking us how to host such an event in their own community to honor Bayan. Executive Director Reem Hassaballa has developed an instructional guide, listed below, on how to host your own “Blankets For Bayan” event:
- The Group making the blankets will receive an incentive from the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation to help offset the cost.
- Purchase Blanket kits from Joann Fabrics or Oriental Trading (they range from $10-$15/blanket and can be found online).
- Have adults cut edges of the blankets (with fleece scissors) per instructions on blanket kit.
- Have kids tie blanket ends.
- Iron-on a label from Bayan Hassaballa Foundation on the plain side of the blanket in a corner using a cotton square (t-shirt or other piece of fabric) to cover while ironing.
- Fold and tie blankets with ribbon or other string.
- Include “Bayan’s Legacy” cards with blanket on top.
- Individually Package in see-through plastic bags.
- Deliver and/or ship blankets to the Foundation (address will be provided).
- The Foundation will personally deliver blankets to the hospital.
The Foundation will provide the group with the “Bayan’s Legacy” cards and iron-on labels. In addition, for every blanket made in Bayan’s honor, the Bayan Hassaballa Foundation will donate the cost of the blanket to St. Judes, Make-A-Wish, or the A-T Foundation…all charities that have helped Bayan.
We are greatly heartened by the tremendous positive response to our “Blankets For Bayan” events. We look forward to helping more people “Paint The World Pink” for Bayan.